Thursday 6 June 2013

Scottish summer: Edinburgh adventures!

Although this is going to be a year abroad blog, I think the best way to get myself into the habit of blogging will be to document my summer! I've been doing my best to make it about more than just working and waiting for a letter to arrive telling me more about my placement. So far I'd say I've been doing ok, though I have spent a bit more money than I really should have considering my holiday is soon... oops.

At lunch the other day Colin pointed out that I've been back and forward to Edinburgh quite a lot in the past week and a bit, and I suppose he's right. First I went to see my friend Ross Anne on her birthday, which coincided with the Champions League final - and the result was definitely a great birthday present for such a huge Bayern Munich fan! Having put a little bit of money on Dortmund to win (not too much, don't worry) I was a little disappointed but watching Ross Anne and her German friend sing Bayern songs and being so happy cheered me up. Then it was back to the flat for cake, more drinking and a surprise reappearance by said friend at some silly time of the morning - thank you, 'Ernest', for indulging our love of German and giving us more of an excuse not to go to bed!


 Headed to Snax to pick up some breakfast delights, as we're so lazy and it's the best place in Edinburgh to grab a fry-up, then it was down to the station for me. Only halfway back to Glasgow I realised I'd managed to leave my purse in Edinburgh! So Tuesday saw me heading back - thank you, train pass - to collect it and enjoy a frappuccino before Ross Anne's gym session.

Last night I ended up on the Glasgow - Edinburgh train once again to see Camera Obscura with the lovely Elsa, who I hadn't seen in an inexcusably long time. I have to admit I was a little disappointed with the gig itself, there seemed to be an energy missing that was definitely there when we saw them at the Barrowlands on their last tour. I suspect it had a lot to do with them playing so many new songs the audience hadn't had time to listen to yet, as their newest album was only released a couple of days ago, and there was definitely a better vibe when more familiar opening bars were played. Still not a bad gig by any means and we followed it up with a trip to Cabaret Voltaire, where I had a little too much fun waving my arms into the white mist from the smoke machine. I wasn't drunk, honest. There's something to be said for some dancey house type music. It's not something I'd ever listen to at home but on a night out it can make everything feel almost transcendental, like I'm dancing on another planet entirely. Or maybe it's just the alcohol; the last time I danced to this stuff involved free tequila shots. I will need to investigate further by trying out some of Glasgow's house hotspots sometime soon. If you see me, a free shot would go down a treat!

I'm going to update again soon with some of the stuff I've been up to closer to home, including a trip on the Glasgow city tour bus! I'm determined to make this a summer to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment