Saturday 14 September 2013

Finally!

I'm writing this from my new bedroom in Halle! I can't quite believe I'm actually here, though at the same time I already feel almost at home in the flat. I have my nice new bedding and my clothes are all in the wardrobe (though I need to pack soon for going to Cologne tomorrow!). I have my two books from Scotland on the shelf and my makeup in front of the mirror. I think I'll be pretty comfy here for the year.

I arrived in Halle four days ago after lots of panic and tears, feeling awkward lugging my huge suitcase everywhere in the station in Berlin, and a quick change of train at Wittenberg. I'm amazed I managed to get my suitcase packed in the first place - squeezing your life into a 20kg suitcase isn't easy! - and I only forgot my Kindle charger. My mentor teacher, Anka, met me at the train station and took me to spend the first few days at her house. She and her husband were absolutely lovely and so so helpful, making sure I was registered as a resident of the city, showing me around the lovely city centre and helping me set up a bank account. I've been well fed and there was plenty sekt and beer. Eventually though I was itching for my own space and I moved into my flat today!


Halle is smaller than what I'm used to in a city, having grown up in Glasgow. But the city centre is really pretty, tram construction works aside. Yesterday me and Anka had coffee in the inner courtyard of a castle - three euros for two. Much cheaper than I imagine it would cost in a Historic Scotland building! And in ten minutes we were back at the Marktplatz, Halle's main square. It also seems to be really easy to get around by tram. The shopping doesn't seem particularly great, but Leipzig is nearby and I can be in Berlin in less than two hours!


This afternoon I went to a mini street festival in my area with my flatmate Sebastian and his brother. There were fleamarket stalls, bands, food, beer, games for kids, and a lovely community atmosphere. I had a vegan döner, something I didn't even know was possible but that tasted really good, and a Club Mate cola, since I thought I should get into the slightly hipster vibe of the festival. My area (or "gegend" as everyone here seems to say) is gorgeous, the buildings are almost all old and renovated and the streets are lined with trees. I have two supermarkets round the corner and I can walk to the main station in 20 minutes! I can't believe how lucky I got with this flat. I'm really excited to spend the year here!


Tomorrow I'm off to Cologne for my training week. I'm meeting Emma and Ross Anne in the city then on Monday we head into the woods to the training hotel-type place. I've heard good things from my friends in other parts of Germany who have already done their training, so I'm pretty excited! And Cologne itself looks beautiful so it'll be good to catch a glimpse of it while passing through. I'll be telling you all about that when I get back! Bis dann!

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful it all looks.. just like moodiesburn! Can't wait to visit. Your room looks very tidy, wonder how long that will last.

    ReplyDelete