Sunday 8 September 2013

Last week in Scotland...

I've not blogged in so long because year abroad preparations seemed to be very slow and a bit abstract, really. Besides the odd letter or email, there was very little to remind me I'm actually going. The last week has been a blur of goodbye drinks and staring at my suitcase willing it to pack itself, but even now I don't feel like I have to move abroad in a matter of days!

Packing is turning out to be a bit of a chore. I usually enjoy packing for a holiday or weekend away but this is a completely different matter. How do I fit a year's worth of life into a 20kg suitcase and a hand luggage bag? I'm not convinced it's possible despite my friends who have already landed in Germany (lucky ladies) reassuring me otherwise. What do I take to use as teaching materials? What do I wear teaching? What do I wear when I go out? How do I narrow my choices down to four pairs of shoes? Yes, there are shops in Germany. I know this. But how much can I buy over there, considering I have to bring it home?

Needless to say I am a stressed girl. But there are some essentials I have already put in my suitcase, ready to have clothes thrown on top:

1. Boots. Two pairs - ankle boots and knee highs. Ankle for autumn and everyday wear, knee high for snow and more formal wear. It's going to be cold over there, if everything I've read about Germany is true. So I want my feet to be well prepared come rain or shine. Mostly come rain though.

2. My diary. Because I have a feeling some of my worse moments should still be documented somewhere, as an inevitable part of the year abroad experience, but not necessarily on a public blog like this!

3. A camera. I couldn't forgive myself for not documenting the year in pictures as well as words, so both my film camera and a little digital one will be coming with me! Thankfully film seems to be fairly cheap in Germany so I should be able to snap away without the costs piling up too much.

4. A BahnCard. OK, I don't actually have one of these babies yet but I will definitely be purchasing one on arrival. I plan to visit all my friends around Germany while I'm there so getting 25% off my journeys will be pretty handy indeed!

I've been spending a lot of time recently saying goodbye to family and friends which has been a bit overwhelming but great fun too. Elsa came through on Thursday, Friday night I went for a burrito and cocktails with Beth (as she's off to Ayia Napa today!) and on Saturday night my family all came over with food and wine and some lovely presents for me. I've spent today detoxing a little from the huge amounts of food and alcohol I've been stuffing myself with! I'm going to miss everyone so much, I hope they all have skype so I can try and keep in touch a bit better than just facebook allows.

I wish I actually felt a bit more nervous and excited about leaving on Wednesday. I think I've just been waiting so long now it feels like it's never going to actually happen. But I'm sure once I have to say goodbye to my family at the airport it'll all come over me and I'll be crying my eyes out, and everything will feel far too real!

1 comment:

  1. it's far too real but exciting.. your red eyed mother. And that is not from the wine ! Can't wait to read all about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete