Thursday 7 November 2013

The Lost Weeks.

It's strange that it's taken me so long to write another post in here, when I've been up to loads! I was a bit overwhelmed with the last couple of weeks and even now I don't really know what to include. Let's just say that since my trip to Weimar, far too much of a certain mouthwash-flavoured alcoholic beverage has been consumed.

Two weekends ago I embarked on a night out in Halle with Sophie and Ruth, two of the awesome girls who live in Leipzig. My bag broke. There was Pfeffi. There was skipping. Needless to say, the next day wasn't looking to be too fabulous but we fixed that with a trip to my favourite cafe in Halle for some amaaaazing waffles! They're the best hangover cure I've found so far. At night I found myself heading to Leipzig as we decided to visit a flea market the next day and I hate early mornings to travel to such events. I didn't end up buying a single thing; even the furry hat that made my head feel so cosy was quickly tossed aside when the guy selling it appeared behind me with one hand on my hip and the other brandishing a mirror dangerously close to my face. Flea markets are definitely one of my favourite ways to spend a Sunday in Germany though - not that there are many other options!

Ruh-roh.

The week was just as busy with some other assistants visiting Leipzig from Thueringen (I was reunited with the Glaswegian accent, love you Emma 2!), an attempt to visit an Irish folk music session in Halle that ended up with us eating gigantic burgers in the pub instead, and a dinner/drinks session with Fanny, Jack and Paul that led to my introduction to a bar above an antiques shop! Sadly I wasn't feeling brave enough to join in poker night, but maybe next time. I did at least get to sing along to Loch Lomond in an Irish pub.

On Friday I met the lovely Lara for an East German style lunch then we proceeded to be very bad influences on each other and empty our purses in Monki. Emma appeared to stay at mine for a night as she couldn't bear to be without weekend plans, and as soon as we received a phone call including the word "debauchery" we were back on a train to Leipzig! Jack's brother was here for the weekend and we thought it only fit to introduce him to the wonders of Pfeffi. While I had a lot of fun in the pub and at karaoke, at some point on the way home the week, my many many emotions and the alcohol caught up with me somewhat and I ended up making a mess of my eye makeup, my phone screen (the little German Nokia thank god, not my iPhone) and my knee, which has now turned a lovely shade of black. Many thanks to Emma as always for being an absolute saint and putting me into my pyjamas.

Spot the twins...

Despite being in some state the next day we did manage to make it back to Leipzig for a football match! I had a pretty good time even if the atmosphere maybe wasn't what it could have been, what with the away team being Dortmund reserves. A Mexican dinner sorted me right out, but I was definitely glad of having the Sunday to relax before we headed out for a big Language Assistants Dinner.

French corner!

I dunno either.

This week has seen the arrival of the fabled Erasmus grant, which combined with another payday has left me with more money than I know what to do with! I think I'm putting it to good use, though, by travelling to Erfurt this weekend and Prague the next! I'm sure I'll have plenty to report, though I do plan to take my next post in a slightly different direction. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment